Let's get one thing out in the open right here right now. I love Marie Antoinette. It's a love bordering on obsession, slightly unhealthy, and honestly, it's a little weird.
I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's the outfits, maybe its because I'm a history nerd. Maybe its because I have a deep rooted love for Rococo and pastel pastries and want to be Kirsten Dunst surrounded by pugs and having rendezvous with that hot dude who plays the Swedish Count. I really have no clue, but to me, she's the 18th century Beyonce. (The french citizens of that time seemed to have differing opinions... cue guillotine)
So it's a little strange that after spending 6 months of my life year I had waited until yesterday to finally make the trek out to Versailles, but after only hearing negative things (lines too long, too many people, never going again if my life and first born child depended on it... etc) I didn't want to ruin my love with a less than substantial visit, especially knowing the fact that I hate unwarranted human contact.
But as I'm only a resident of Paris for a few more weeks my friend Claire and I decided to make the journey and we were not dissapointed.
Pro tip? GO TO VERSAILLES IN WINTER PEOPLE.
Versailles in winter = no crowds, no lines, exponentially less loud americans (sorry friends) and more room to frolic around and pretend you're part of the royal court, if you're into that kind of thing. Sure, there may be less flowers, but I assure you everything else is way up to snuff.
The most beautiful sprawling garden I have ever been in, the grounds of Versailles are what all my francophile dreams are made of. Abandoning our recently acquired Parisian aloofness, Claire and I frolicked across the fields, taking little notice of the possibility that the french people around us were not used to hyperactive American girls.
Claire and I spent a total of 4+ hours exploring the grounds, with our adventures consisting of
making it all the way down the Grand Canal
| Say hi to Claire! |
up to the Grand Trianon, back down across the field of sheep,
| So. Many. Pastels. |
through the woods and the Sun King's english garden,
explored Marie's petite Trianon, and still had so much left to see. We didn't even make it inside the palace! (not that I'm disappointed as this just means a return visit :-) )
Ending with a pizza (for all my vegans out there- you can get it w/o cheese) and a glass of wine, it was all in all a wonderful day and a highly recommendable experience. If you love nature, history, or pretty much beautiful shit in general (but hate crowds), do this bad boy on a sunny winter day. It might be a little chilly, but bringing a scarf is so worth the avoidance of a bunch of af pushy tourists.

No comments :
Post a Comment